A.R Rahman Bio-data :
Birth Name : A. S. Dileep Kumar
Date of Birth : 6th January 1966 (Age :43)
Place of Birth : Chennai , India
Occupation : film composer, record producer, musician and singer
Father : R.K Shekhar, chennai based composer.
Mother : Kareema.
Son : Aameem .
Daughter : Rahima , Khadijah.
Spouse Name : Saira Banu
Years active : 1992–present
First Film : Roja (1992)
First Hit : Roja (1992)
Rahman, in a career over a decade, had sold over 200 million cassettes, and also sold more than 150 million records of his film scores and soundtracks all over the world, which makes him one of the world's top selling music artists.
Early Life :
A. R. Rahman was born in a musically affluent Mudaliar Tamil family in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India . His father R. K. Shekhar, was a Chennai based composer. Rahman lost his father at a young age and his family rented out musical equipment as a source of income. He was raised by his mother Kareema (Kashturi).He then converted to Islam in the year 1989 at the age of 23 and changed his name to Rahman. During these formative years, Rahman served as a keyboard player and an arranger in bands such as "Roots", with childhood friend and percussionist Sivamani, John Anthony, Suresh Peters, JoJo and Raja. Rahman is the founder of the Chennai-based rock group, "Nemesis Avenue".
He played the keyboard and piano, the synthesizer, the harmonium and the guitar. His curiosity in the synthesizer, in particular increased because, he says, it was the “ideal combination of music and technology". He began early training in music under Master Dhanraj. At the age of 11, he joined, as a keyboardist, the troupe of Ilaiyaraaja, one of many composers to whom musical instruments belonging to Rahman's father were rented.
In 1992, Rahman began his own music recording studio at the backyard of his house called the Panchathan Record Inn, which was developed into India's most advanced recording studio. He initially composed music for advertisements, Indian Television channels and music scores in documentaries, among other projects. In 1992, he was approached by film director Mani Ratnam to compose the score and soundtrack for Ratnam's Tamil film Roja. The debut led Rahman to receive the Rajat Kamal award for Best Music Director at the National Film Awards, the first time ever by a first-time film composer.
List of Life Time Achievements and Awards:
- Rahman was the 1995 recipient of the Mauritius National Award and the Malaysian Award for contributions to music.
- He was nominated for a Laurence Olivier Award for his first West-End production.
- A four-time National Film Award winner and conferred the Padma Shri from the Government of India.
- Rahman has also received six Tamil Nadu State Film Awards.
- Thirteen Filmfare Awards and twelve Filmfare Awards South for his music and scores.
- In 2006, he received an honorary award from Stanford University for contributions to global music.
- In 2009, for his score of Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman won the Critics' Choice Award, the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score.
- The BAFTA Award for Best Film Music for Slumdog Millionaire.
- Two Academy Awards for Best Original Music Score and Best Original Song at the 2009 Oscars. Middlesex University and Aligarh Muslim University have announced that they plan to bestow honorary doctorates on Rahman (2009).
- He has also won two Grammy Awards, for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album and Best Song Written for a Visual Media (2009).
- Rahman was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian honor, in 2010.